cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Winter Rentals

NickyReg
Day-tripper

How do we go about renting our trailer in the winter without having busted pipes and damages? Please help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

JordanB
Weekend warrior II

It comes down to educating your renters at pickup, and hoping they follow your instructions. We go over the different strategies for winter use in detail at pickup, and it is also covered in our renter instruction manual (things like keeping the furnace at a certain temp, using the tank heaters, keeping the water heater on). There was a similar post a few weeks back that had some similar questions, check it out here.

There is always a risk that they won't pay attention or will forget something and you could end up with damages, but you have to decide if the risk is worth it in order to keep renting in the winter. Plenty of owners decide it isn't worth it, and just winterize and put into storage until spring.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

JordanB
Weekend warrior II

It comes down to educating your renters at pickup, and hoping they follow your instructions. We go over the different strategies for winter use in detail at pickup, and it is also covered in our renter instruction manual (things like keeping the furnace at a certain temp, using the tank heaters, keeping the water heater on). There was a similar post a few weeks back that had some similar questions, check it out here.

There is always a risk that they won't pay attention or will forget something and you could end up with damages, but you have to decide if the risk is worth it in order to keep renting in the winter. Plenty of owners decide it isn't worth it, and just winterize and put into storage until spring.

VagabondKaren
Weekend warrior II

We have to winterize here in Iowa.  In 4 years, I have only gotten a handful of requests to rent after I winterize.  Most of the time once I explain that there is no fresh water - no shower, no sink etc, they change their mind.