cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Renter's with inadequate tow vehicles...

F150fan
Day-tripper

Hello everyone, when is it okay to let renter's know if we believe their tow vehicle is not up to the job to pulling our trailer's? My trailer weighs 4,100 lb empty and I get a lot of people with midsize trucks wanting to pull it... I know a Toyota Tacoma or Chevy Colorado can pull it but is it really safe for the Long haul?

13 REPLIES 13

elweaselgrande
Day-tripper II

One of the first questions I ask is about towing, the vehicle and the level of experience, this has killed a couple bookings but people can get into a lot of trouble quickly on the open road with an inadequate towing vehicle. 

Anthonynuman
Day-tripper II

It’s your rv if u don’t feel safe with the tow vechicle don’t rent it. 

BrianTurnerNC
Day-tripper

I direct them to the towing capacities listed on the door jamb of their vehicle to make sure they can tow safely.  I also let them know if they come to pick-up and the trailer exceeds the capabilities of their vehicle they cannot take it.  I usually find I have bigger challenges with folks not having a 7 way connector or they don't have a brake controller.

alacercogitatus
Day-tripper II

My rig is 6500 empty, so I don't let it go for anything not rated 8000 or higher. Which is basically big trucks. No, your Tacoma can't haul it, I don't care how much experience you have.

elweaselgrande
Day-tripper II

There is a bluetooth brake controller available but the still need the correct electrical connection, most people renting are not experienced in hauling / towing, GVWR is a tough conversation for newbies who do not take into consideration that rating includes passengers and gear, i'd rather lose a booking than have a family to get overturned on the highway as they are over laden.

Garrett1505
Day-tripper III

Is it safe can lead down an opinion hole that most owners cannot escape from leaving them with unanswered questions. 

In short, owners should be aware of the renter's year make and model which Outdoorsy is working on adding, per my session with them. Ultimately, for instance my 38' conventional trailer is 10,995 GVWR the actual weight with all of the tanks empty is 10,200. Therefore, a row vehicles capacity should be 1000 to 1500 lbs more than what the tow vehicle is pulling. My F150 had 3.55 gear ratio V6 transmission cooler max tow with rear stabilizing bar on the back axel. With the Blue-Ox weight distribution and sway-control hitch and a 1500 lb. Tongue rating my recommended tow capacity is 12,000. On the higher end of my 1000 lb comparison but safe. For more questions or tips stay tuned or follow me.  CHEERS 🍻

hyakhouse
Day-tripper II

my first questions are about tow vehicle, tow experience, destination and group. if they don't meet criteria, they don't get to rent from me. no tow experience is fine, but no tow experience and the wrong vehicle? not fine. 

WolfPaw
Day-tripper III

My trailer is 7200lbs dry. My freshwater is 100 gallons full. That’s 800 lbs of sloshing. No I do not fill it when towing. I am asked can my truck haul it? I tell them to check thier sticker , owners manual or phone the dealer and let me know. I know a 1500 will not tow my rig. I use my 2500 ram with a 4:6 rear diff. If they haven’t towed or can’t I offer delivery at a fair cost. That’s best solution in my opinion. 

My F150 would tow that 2 times over!

If your 150 can haul 14,400 lbs  and not leave parts on the ground I’d be impressed. My 2500 is only rated for 10,000 lbs max. Trailer weight is of course dry so add camping gear and people , food, etc. 

I was referring to 7200 lbs almost double at 13000 lbs. Any ways all in all your 2500 is probably old and only rated for 10k when my f150 is rated for 12000 recommended.

WolfPaw
Day-tripper III

Either way my point was options and if a vehicle was rated to tow 5,000 lbs I wasn’t going to rent it out. Our trucks old or new had nothing to do with it. 

Iheartbacon
Day-tripper

How do you deal with your weight distributing hitch? Do you ask the renter to provide their own, or do you include your hitch with the rental?