cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about discounts for renters

Moose_N_Around
Day-tripper II

Hello! I've recently just gotten our first booking returned and our renters had some issues with our camper while on their trip. When our camper was still under warranty, we had a leaky window on our slide-out. We were told that the whole window was replaced but our renters had a very leaky window during a rainstorm. I was pretty embarrassed that they had to deal with that and there wasn't much we could do for them. I was wondering if there is a way that we are able to give them a discount through here? Also, I have received a message from another person regarding a month-long stay. We told them yes (as long as it's available) and that it would be discounted due to the length of the trip. How do I go about giving them the nightly discount? 

A couple other questions...Does anyone offer any other discounts such as reduced cleaning fee if returned spotless? I would like to know if offering different discounts ever helps to get better reviews and more bookings. Also, how do I delete "expired"/cancelled or "waiting on renter" messages? Thanks again for all the help with working out the kinks for a beginner host!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

JordanB
Weekend warrior

Hi there, sorry to hear your first booking didn't go as well as expected. You are able to give renters a partial refund after the trip if desired, you just have to go through Outdoorsy support to do it (via a phone call or their online chat).

For giving discounts or a custom rate on a future trip, you can do that all through the owner dashboard. Check out this post for some options.

We just charge a flat rate for our cleaning fee, because we hire out to have it cleaned and the rate doesn't change regardless of how clean they return our RV. If you are doing the cleaning yourself and want to customize the cleaning fee, you may be able to do it via an "Add-On" service, with the "Paid on Return" checkbox marked. This should allow you to update that fee after your RV gets back and charge a custom amount. I've never used that feature personally, so maybe someone who has (or someone from Outdoorsy) can double confirm.

To clean up your inbox messages, when you are looking at the list of messages from renters there is an "Archive" button next to each one, which will remove it from the list (if you are on your phone you can swipe to the left on an inbox item to show the archive button).

Hope that helps!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

JordanB
Weekend warrior

Hi there, sorry to hear your first booking didn't go as well as expected. You are able to give renters a partial refund after the trip if desired, you just have to go through Outdoorsy support to do it (via a phone call or their online chat).

For giving discounts or a custom rate on a future trip, you can do that all through the owner dashboard. Check out this post for some options.

We just charge a flat rate for our cleaning fee, because we hire out to have it cleaned and the rate doesn't change regardless of how clean they return our RV. If you are doing the cleaning yourself and want to customize the cleaning fee, you may be able to do it via an "Add-On" service, with the "Paid on Return" checkbox marked. This should allow you to update that fee after your RV gets back and charge a custom amount. I've never used that feature personally, so maybe someone who has (or someone from Outdoorsy) can double confirm.

To clean up your inbox messages, when you are looking at the list of messages from renters there is an "Archive" button next to each one, which will remove it from the list (if you are on your phone you can swipe to the left on an inbox item to show the archive button).

Hope that helps!

Moose_N_Around
Day-tripper II

This was incredibly helpful. Especially letting me know if I check the "Paid on return" option. I wasn't sure how that all works or what it really meant compared to the due at booking option. Same with offering linens and a generator as add-ons. We also have to figure out how to change the setting for delivery fees and mileage. For some reason it only charged them a one-way delivery fee, so we missed out on that charge. Lots of kinks and tricks to work out! Thanks for your help!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey there! Jordan gave you some awesome tips. Just note, Outdoorsy only calculates one way for delivery, so you need to account for that. For example, if you charge $2 per mile you need to multiply it by 2 trips. So you will put your delivery fee as $4 per mile. 

Clan_Graham
Weekend warrior

I had a LOT of luck with a "10% Off For First Time Outdoorsy Renters!" discount. I put the title of the discount (a shortened version, actually, we're only allowed so many characters, lol) in the title of my ad to draw people in and it really worked!

Even after I discontinued the discount, I'll use it in quotes for people who I can tell are struggling financially. We booked a family of five a couple of weeks ago who told me (after I'd sent the quote with the discount and she had booked) that she'd requested a ton of quotes and she was beginning to think they wouldn't have their one and only vacation for the year, but our discount brought the price down to a comfortable spot for them and she booked straight away!

I try to read into the renter's questions to get a feel for if they're financially strapped and I'll throw in the discount without telling them, so it's a nice surprise for them and I feel better knowing a family or friend group who may not have gotten to go on their special holiday, now get to go! It's a win-win for all of us! 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is awesome! Thank you for sharing this with us.