cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outdoorsy, what are the limits of an SRA?

mark_morissette
Day-tripper

I’m looking for an official word on the financial penalty limits of SRA’s.   

Over on the official Facebook owners group, time and time again I’m seeing people posting about their intention to seize entire security deposits for what amounts to absolutely ridiculous things.  

It’s been my understanding that Outdoorsy will not rule in favour of an owner unless an actual justifiable loss has occurred.   Is that true?

So if someone smokes in my unit despite my no smoking rules and SRA, I could seize some or all of the deposit since I have an actual justifiable loss in my time to remove the smell, equipment I may need to rent or purchase, the potential of needing to replace soft items such as linens or upholstered items in extreme cases, etc.   

But some of the reasons I see people trying to say they’re going to seize entire (sometimes multiple thousands of dollars) deposits is seemingly off base.  1 MPH over their “prescribed” speed limit?    Driving down a dirt  road?   Going to a different campground than what they said they were going to for what may be very justifiable reasons?

If I put in my SRA that I was going to seize an entire $1K security deposit if (for example) the trailer was driven on gravel, and my GPS then showed that they entered a gravel parking lot at a (again, for example) roadside Food Truck, would outdoorsy allow this?     

I’m not saying that people shouldn’t get reimbursed out of the security deposit for legitimate things like mileage excesses on drivable‘s, generator hours registered at the end of a rental, toll charges that come in after a rental, and of course actual damage etc.  

however based on what I’m seeing either a lot of people are dreaming about their abilities to seize funds for silly reasons, or this system is being abused by many to generate extra profits for unjustifiable reasons.  

Looking forward to your insight. 

Tagging @Kameron 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Carli_cuthbertson
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi! Here is some clarification that might be helpful. Basically, any time a security deposit is claimed a renter can file a dispute. If the security deposit was claimed due to a violation of an SRA the Resolutions Team will definitely take the SRA into account. If the SRA was provided prior to booking and isn't against OD's T&C the Resolutions Team will likely uphold the claim as the renter was informed of the SRA and signed in agreement of it. Hope this helps! 

View solution in original post

Dherteux
Day-tripper II

Let me start by saying that I have a very hard time with the new breed of owners who state that will take the entire deposit for any minor violation of any rule.  I think that is bad business, and bad for all of us.  You need to justify any amount you withhold from a deposit.  If they smoke, let them know you will hold their deposit for a full end-to-end detailing of the rig.  I try to limit anything that is absolute.  Simply turning onto a gravel road is not a good enough reason to claim a deposit.  Even if you win the dispute,  it gives us all a bad name.  The deposit is not a piggy bank for us to take from, it is there to cover any potential damages or issues.  I tell all my renters that if I take from the deposit, I will back it up with receipts and other supporting documentation.  Treat your renters, the way you want to be treated.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Carli_cuthbertson
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi! Here is some clarification that might be helpful. Basically, any time a security deposit is claimed a renter can file a dispute. If the security deposit was claimed due to a violation of an SRA the Resolutions Team will definitely take the SRA into account. If the SRA was provided prior to booking and isn't against OD's T&C the Resolutions Team will likely uphold the claim as the renter was informed of the SRA and signed in agreement of it. Hope this helps! 

david_rubio
Weekend warrior

The best thing to do is buy an SRA from another reputable owner and modify it for your RV or create an SRA and have an attorney review it. 

To be honest, the owners who charge or penalize renters for speeding based upon a GPS notification are probably full of delusions of grandeur. It’s very easy for renters to dispute and win “speeding” charges based off of a GPS reading. Put it this way, if collecting speeding fees based on GPS readings was so easy, every rental car company would be doing it. U-Haul puts those “Don’t drive over 55” stickers on their trailers, but how many people comply with that, ya know? And you don’t hear of U-Haul taking money from deposits for speeding. 

Arbitrators will review all aspects of a reservation before making a decision. If an SRA was agreed upon by both parties prior to the start of a reservation, they’ll review it during a claim. Whether or not they think portions of the SRA are legitimate or just money grabbing BS by the owner is up to them. Always have it reviewed by an attorney before getting the renters to sign it. 

My SRA is in my “Rules of the Road” section of my listings. 

Dherteux
Day-tripper II

Let me start by saying that I have a very hard time with the new breed of owners who state that will take the entire deposit for any minor violation of any rule.  I think that is bad business, and bad for all of us.  You need to justify any amount you withhold from a deposit.  If they smoke, let them know you will hold their deposit for a full end-to-end detailing of the rig.  I try to limit anything that is absolute.  Simply turning onto a gravel road is not a good enough reason to claim a deposit.  Even if you win the dispute,  it gives us all a bad name.  The deposit is not a piggy bank for us to take from, it is there to cover any potential damages or issues.  I tell all my renters that if I take from the deposit, I will back it up with receipts and other supporting documentation.  Treat your renters, the way you want to be treated.