cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outdoorsy insurance and totalled trailer

KrystalP
Day-tripper II

Hi everyone. I wanted to give a review about outdoorsy insurance. I have read a lot of posts with questions and I thought I would do my best to answer them through my own experience. First and foremost I want to say that outdoorsy has been an incredible opportunity for me and my family to supplement our income. Sadly we recently rented our travel trailer and it was rolled on the freeway by the renter. A total loss but by the good grace of God, the renters walked away uninjured. After all, possessions come and go but people's lives are what really matter.

I can tell you that I stressed for the last couple of weeks. I wasn't sure about the outdoorsy insurance. I wasn't sure if they were going to try and find some reason to say they weren't going to pay or not.. Well that is NOT the case. Outdoorsy just settled our case today and is paying for the value of our travel trailer and then some. I'm very grateful to Outdoorsy and Roamly insurance for being upstanding companies. I wanted to give some tips to all the renters out there.

*Do not be so attached to your property that losing it will make you become bitter.

*Cross all of your t's and dot your I's. Take the time to read the rules and instructions. I know that sometimes it seems a little silly when the paperwork tells you to explain left blinkers and right blinkers and backing up to your renter. Do it anyways!

*Make sure that you don't become complacent. Take brand new photos every time you are renting your trailer out. Make sure you have proof of when your photos were taken.

I know this seems like a lot but we are running businesses here. A lot goes into running a business and this is the footwork required. I'm so grateful that I did everything correctly.

*Be kind. Be kind to your renter even if they make a huge mistake and your property is damaged. I know that it is easier said than done with some renters but remember you might need their help again. I know for us, our trailer was destroyed but because we cared more about people than property we remained on good terms with our renters. What a blessing because we ended up needing them to tidy up the return form for the insurance.

*Remember that the insurance companies don't make up all these rules just to be complicated. Sometimes you may not know the reasoning but there IS a very good reason behind every rule. Having your pictures date stamped or even time-stamped allows them to justify paying out the value of your trailer.

*Communicate! Ask questions if you don't understand something. Express if something bothers you. Remain tactful and level headed. Make yourself approachable so that the renter and the outdoorsy team can easily communicate with you. This benefits you AND helps you understand the process.

And I'll be honest. I did not get what I "hoped" to get for our trailer. But I did get offered more than I expected and it will afford us another trailer to rent through Outdoorsy. Truthfully, I had a pessimistic idea that we were going to get the short end of the stick but we didnt! All I can really advise is that you please please take the time to educate yourself in these forums. Learn all the rules and follow them. I'm sad that I won't get to rent for a little while but be assured that outdoorsy and their insurance are working for you and as for me and my husband we WILL be back. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Carli
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you so much for sharing! So glad everyone was safe. So sorry to hear about your rig, but I am glad we were able to make it right 🙂 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

KrystalP
Day-tripper II

I almost forgot. Make sure you get those 90 day inspections. Get them and save the receipts. Yes they cost money but they can also keep people alive.

Where do you get your RV inspected and what did it cost?

Carli
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you so much for sharing! So glad everyone was safe. So sorry to hear about your rig, but I am glad we were able to make it right 🙂 

View solution in original post

greatadventures
Day-tripper III

Can you speak to the claims process, and how quick/responsive things were? Did you communicate directly with someone at Roamly, or did all your communication go through a "go between" at Outdoorsy?  Also curious how long it took from the time you put in the claim to the time it was settled.  Thanks!