cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie Questions

sanch10
Day-tripper

I hope this is the right thread to post. I am a newbie to Outdoorsy and want to see if there is anything I can glean as must-do's as I start the process of renting our vehicle.

Our vehicle is a new 4Runner with Roof Top Tent, built as a camper. 

A few questions:

• I think I understand the car is automatically insured when rented, but now I see solicitations for insurance, so now not sure if that is an extra fee.
  • Do folks tend to have the vehicle picked up at a neutral site?
  • Vehicle cleaning post rental for sanitation purposes, any suggestions?
  • Are people using vehicle tracking devices? Is that needed?

Thanks in advance, and please share anything you deem valuable for someone jumping in blind.

Scott

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

JordanB
Weekend warrior II

Hi @sanch10 , welcome!

If you haven't already, definitely read through the Owners Handbook that Outdoorsy put together. It's pretty high-level for some things, but it gives you a good basis to start from.

For your questions above:

1. Yes, your vehicle is automatically covered by insurance during the rental period. It is paid by the renters as part of their fee. This assumes that your vehicle qualified for Outdoorsy's coverage (you can verify this in the "Insurance & Protection" section of your listing). Check out this link for more insurance details. The solicitations you've been receiving are for Outdoorsy's Roamly insurance, which they offer at a discount to you if you are looking for personal insurance on your rig (something you would use while driving it, not your renters). If you are happy with your 4Runner's currant insurance, you can ignore this.
  2. We use a neutral site for our pickup and dropoff (a parking lot close by our house), because we like the extra security of not giving out our home address to everyone. You can do whatever you are comfortable with however.
  3. For cleaning, you can do it yourself which is the most cost effective. We ended up finding a few good cleaners on TaskRabbit, and have one of them come and clean for an hour after each rental (way less work this way).
  4. Vehicle tracking is also up to you and what you feel comfortable with. Outdoorsy offers a discount on Zubie, but I haven't used it personally, so I don't know how the service is. We ended up just sticking an Apple Airtag in our rig for basic tracking if needed (not perfect, because it requires cell reception to update it's location, but much more affordable). I haven't needed it during our rental experience, but I've heard a few stories on Outdoorsy where Owners were able to recover their rigs after a bad renter experience.

As far as must-dos, I would highly recommend putting together a how-to binder for your renters to use, with photos and all the details of your setup and how everything works. I realize a rooftop camper is a simpler setup than most RVs, but for people who have never used one before it's helpful to have a set of instructions they can reference at any point during their trip. Include any other equipment you have with your listing (cooking stuff, any electrical or misc appliances you include and such).

When you get your first rental, make sure and set aside plenty of time at dropoff to review the ins and outs with your renters in person. The combination of seeing it in person and having a binder should give them everything they need to have a good trip without needing to reach out to you and ask a ton of questions (although you should always be available for questions just in case).

Thats it for an overview. Best of luck!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

JordanB
Weekend warrior II

Hi @sanch10 , welcome!

If you haven't already, definitely read through the Owners Handbook that Outdoorsy put together. It's pretty high-level for some things, but it gives you a good basis to start from.

For your questions above:

1. Yes, your vehicle is automatically covered by insurance during the rental period. It is paid by the renters as part of their fee. This assumes that your vehicle qualified for Outdoorsy's coverage (you can verify this in the "Insurance & Protection" section of your listing). Check out this link for more insurance details. The solicitations you've been receiving are for Outdoorsy's Roamly insurance, which they offer at a discount to you if you are looking for personal insurance on your rig (something you would use while driving it, not your renters). If you are happy with your 4Runner's currant insurance, you can ignore this.
  2. We use a neutral site for our pickup and dropoff (a parking lot close by our house), because we like the extra security of not giving out our home address to everyone. You can do whatever you are comfortable with however.
  3. For cleaning, you can do it yourself which is the most cost effective. We ended up finding a few good cleaners on TaskRabbit, and have one of them come and clean for an hour after each rental (way less work this way).
  4. Vehicle tracking is also up to you and what you feel comfortable with. Outdoorsy offers a discount on Zubie, but I haven't used it personally, so I don't know how the service is. We ended up just sticking an Apple Airtag in our rig for basic tracking if needed (not perfect, because it requires cell reception to update it's location, but much more affordable). I haven't needed it during our rental experience, but I've heard a few stories on Outdoorsy where Owners were able to recover their rigs after a bad renter experience.

As far as must-dos, I would highly recommend putting together a how-to binder for your renters to use, with photos and all the details of your setup and how everything works. I realize a rooftop camper is a simpler setup than most RVs, but for people who have never used one before it's helpful to have a set of instructions they can reference at any point during their trip. Include any other equipment you have with your listing (cooking stuff, any electrical or misc appliances you include and such).

When you get your first rental, make sure and set aside plenty of time at dropoff to review the ins and outs with your renters in person. The combination of seeing it in person and having a binder should give them everything they need to have a good trip without needing to reach out to you and ask a ton of questions (although you should always be available for questions just in case).

Thats it for an overview. Best of luck!

sanch10
Day-tripper

Jordan,

Thank you so much! This is super helpful. I like the Airtag idea, and the binder is a must. I am on it.

Best,

Scott