cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Minor issues for Renter

Daedelus
Day-tripper

What do other owners think is the correct action if a renter has a problem with a piece of equipment that should have been working fine? Let’s say the hose for example or if something more like the AC wasn’t working? Like with variables if they just let me know versus they went to Home Depot or something to get a new water hose for the full hookup? Just trying to get a feel for what’s right with something like this. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

JordanB
Weekend warrior II

There is a broad range of possibilities here, and I usually handle it on a case-by-case basis depending on the situation.

To start with, I always request that my renters let me know when something goes wrong right away. Big or small, regardless of if they plan on handling it themselves or not. This keeps me in the loop, and gives me a chance to start coordinating repairs before they get back if needed. Our turnaround time between rentals is often only 2 or 3 days, which isn't enough time to get something fixed if I only find out about something after pickup.

For your example with the water hose, if the renter broke it by using it incorrectly, I would expect them to either replace it during their trip, or I would pull the cost of a new hose out of their deposit after they returned. If it was just worn out and failed during their trip, I would give them the option to pick up a new hose on their own (so they could continue to use water hookups), then I would reimburse them at the end for the cost, plus a little more for the inconvenience.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

JordanB
Weekend warrior II

There is a broad range of possibilities here, and I usually handle it on a case-by-case basis depending on the situation.

To start with, I always request that my renters let me know when something goes wrong right away. Big or small, regardless of if they plan on handling it themselves or not. This keeps me in the loop, and gives me a chance to start coordinating repairs before they get back if needed. Our turnaround time between rentals is often only 2 or 3 days, which isn't enough time to get something fixed if I only find out about something after pickup.

For your example with the water hose, if the renter broke it by using it incorrectly, I would expect them to either replace it during their trip, or I would pull the cost of a new hose out of their deposit after they returned. If it was just worn out and failed during their trip, I would give them the option to pick up a new hose on their own (so they could continue to use water hookups), then I would reimburse them at the end for the cost, plus a little more for the inconvenience.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there! Like Jordan said, it really depends on the situation. If something major isn't working or breaks from normal wear and tear some owners will refund some money back to the renter. You can get customer support to help you with that 🙂