cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

late return and festival violation

Kjstaudi
Day-tripper

I had my first renter this weekend and everything went smoothly except the return. We agreed that they would return the van by 3pm. Around 1:30pm I sent a message to them to see how the weekend went and to get an ETA. I did not hear back till 3:30pm and at that time they said they took a nap that unexpectedly lasted 4 hours! They said they wouldn’t be back till 8pm. I couldn’t be there for an 8pm return so I had them just drop the van off and leave the keys. Once I was able to assess the van I noticed that there was an camping placard left on the dash. I googled it and it came up as a music festival which my rules explicitly say no festivals. On top of that the fridge was turned off and the freezer defrosted leading to water accumulation in the fridge and a nasty smell in the fridge. 
what do I do in this situation? Do I charge them for a late return, for disregarding the rules and leaving the fridge off??
Since it is my first rental I was hoping to have them write a good review so I’m nervous to charge them or say anything. 

2 REPLIES 2

VagabondKaren
Weekend warrior II

Did you advise them ahead of time that there would be late fees if returned late?  If so, charge appropriately.  If not you really can’t impose a fee you didn’t tell them about.  As for everything else, I would not charge.  It’s not work charging maybe $20 for the extra time it takes to clean the fridge.  And same thing with the violation of going to a festival.  Unless you specially advised them of a fee if they went to a festival, you can go back and say hey - you violated this here’s a fee I didn’t tell you about.  

OfftheClockRV
Day-tripper

Since your rules explicitly state no music festivals, then I would contact them and ask why they violated your rules. Assuming there is no legitimate excuse for them, I would at the very least give them an appropriate review to help protect the rest of the community from renters which violate rules and restrictions.