cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insurance Providers

maasseen
Day-tripper II

Hello everyone, I am looking for your advice on insurance providers to use in addition to the platform insurance. 

Thanks in advance! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tim
Day-tripper

Roamly covers you outside of the rental period (because Outdoorsy's rental insurance covers things during the rental). What makes Roamly great is that not only do they not drop you for renting, but that every Roamly employee you interact with knows you're renting. No other insurance company is as focused on renting as Roamly.

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22

elweaselgrande
Day-tripper II

Following. The one we have is Roamly and they do not value the RV for what they are worth

I just asked for a quote from MBA Insurance as per suggested in this forum... Waiting for a reply... I am wanting to make sure that I am covered for loss of use as well, which is not covered by outdoorsy... Also, I don't want to be on the "hook" if there are any issues with them trying to not pay. 

ewiewall
Day-tripper

I recently had a good conversation with Michelle at Roamly. I found the cash value appropriate for our Travel Trailer and pricing no too far from our current Insurance which is Progressive, with the distinction that Roamly will insure an RV that is being rented out, not just personal use. Hope this helps. 

Currently full-time living in our Reflection 312BHTS traveling from FL to WY and back.

Here is the issue... will they cover loss of use and diminished value? Say you have a damage of $10,000 and the unit is down for 1 month in peak season... That could literally cost another $5k or more for the lost rental time, something that Outdoorsy insurance is not going to pay you for. 

Anthonynuman
Day-tripper II

I’m from Canada and I used intact insurance they one of the few that will insure if u rent out and was cheaper then my local company

i use wayfarer and I’m in ontario. I’ll have to check out intact. Thanks for input. RV Explorer Club is handy to have as well. 

Yeah, so far no US based agents I can find. 

alacercogitatus
Day-tripper II

Following, as I have progressive and want to make sure its better covered this year.

Garrett1505
Day-tripper III

This is definitely a topic of discussion! Personal insurance on your RV and what company to go with? Let's dive deeper... First of all an owner needs to have a company that will allow them to lend out,  rent, or have family borrow their RV called an insurance binder. Otherwise, their insurance could be void canceled per the policy. 

Now let's say you go with Roamly for your personal, they offer this insurance binder and they rate your RV two ways...

1) Agreed upon value up to a certain amount of years and then... which you will pay premium on...

2) Actual cash value

Ok great that's all in place now a renter comes along and when they sign up Roamly insurance for the renter kicks in when the key is handed over and this is called temporary insurance covering mainly the owner for any liability from the renter during the rental period key to key exchange. 

A person can supplement their liability with multiple insurance companies but remember filling a claim under both companies is considered fraud. It's one or the other. 

For more questions comments or concerns feel free to ask and follow... 

CHEERS🍻 - ADVENTURE AWAITS

Here is the issue... will they cover loss of use and diminished value? Say you have a damage of $10,000 and the unit is down for 1 month in peak season... That could literally cost another $5k or more for the lost rental time, something that Outdoorsy insurance is not going to pay you for. 

Sounds like you have a good understanding of the insurance coverage. Will outdoorsy cover any injury to people who are renting? Let's say they trip and fall out the door? Or injury during towing if there were an accident?

Thanks

MoJo
Day-tripper

Hi There, new to outdoorsy and we too are trying to figure out insurance. Had a call w/ Roamly and they sent a quote from Safeco.  Our normal insurance agent that we use for everything (house, cars, etc.) said that they could write the exact same Safeco policy Roamly sent, but Safeco will not allow us to rent our trailer and they'll drop us...  leading to my actual question. Has anyone had an accident/incident occur while renting your trailer and what happened w/ insurance?  Did the renters policy kick in and cover everything, were you dropped from your owner's insurance policy?  We've been told (at this point several times) by our trusted insurance agent that no personal RV insurance policy allows renting and we'd likely need to look into a commercial policy.

Safeco will not cover you during the rental. But will allow you to rent with the insurance binder. Then roamly on Outdoorsy will kick in when the exchange of keys happen. What Safeco is telling you is they won't cover the rental outside of Outdoorsy's platform because when a rental is in progress that's considered temporary insurance. 

Dave
Day-tripper III

Roamly allows you to have personal insurance that won’t drop you for renting. Even though it’s backed by Safeco. Many insurance companies have “divisions”. Insurance that covers commercial companies and insurance that covers regular folks. 

The Safeco insurance that Roamly uses is targeted towards commercial/fleets. 

Some people have been dropped by their insurance companies for renting RVs. In cases where a claim needs to be filed, the claim goes as smooth or as difficult as the parties make it. Which is why having all your ducks in a row pre-departure, reading and understanding all the information available on the website, understanding every aspect of how your RV functions is so important as an owner. 

Tim
Day-tripper

Roamly covers you outside of the rental period (because Outdoorsy's rental insurance covers things during the rental). What makes Roamly great is that not only do they not drop you for renting, but that every Roamly employee you interact with knows you're renting. No other insurance company is as focused on renting as Roamly.

View solution in original post

maasseen
Day-tripper II

I did not have any luck with them getting in contact with me. 

maasseen
Day-tripper II

Still waiting for them to call me so I can ask some questions about their policy... 

maasseen
Day-tripper II

Will they cover loss of use and diminished value?

FFRV
Day-tripper

We have ten trailers so we have commercial insurance through MBA Insurance. We've been with them for the last four years and they have always been very responsive. We had three claims with MBA that were taken care of quickly and they paid the amount of the repair work less the deductible. You name the value of the trailer and they insure it for that amount. We don't require our renters to use or pay for Outdoorsy's insurance since MBA covers the trailers whether they are rented or just sitting in our storage lot. We cover the insurance costs in our rental fee. Renters like the idea of bottom-line pricing.

It is a commercial policy so they may have a minimum number of units you have to insure. That's not been an issue since we started with six units and have built up to ten. We're allowed to put our units on winter storage rate during our off-season (we're in Michigan) which cuts the premiums way down. As the owner of the company, my personal use of any of our trailers during the off-season winter rate is covered. My wife and I can head south with one of the trailers and it's covered!

Hope this helps...

maasseen
Day-tripper II

Checking into this now, thanks for the info! 

vengabus
Day-tripper

Hey everyone! First post here. Nice to meet you all! 

Does anyone have recommendations on good insurance options for New York registered RVs? Roamly and Outdoorsy currently does not cover NY registered vehicles.

Thanks & cheers! ✌️

FFRV suggested, MBA insurance, waiting for a quote now.