cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First rental

leereneeduncan
Day-tripper

I was so excited about our first rental got it all pretty added games had it ready to go. Before they picked up the camper I got an email stating that one driver had not been verified. I contacted the lady and she got her husband to finish up the paperwork. I never got an email stating the deposit had never been secured. The camper left they took our hitch with them because when they got here they did not have the proper hitch we were going to be nice it was their first time so we let them borrow the hitch. We went over all the workings of the camper all the paperwork and they left. When I checked on them to make sure they got unhitched and to their location because they were nervous I was told they were going to have to go get a generator because there was no electricity plug app. Clue number one. Clue number 2 was I found out they were total boondocking and had no hookups whatsoever. We warned them of the size of the tanks and what happens if you overfill the tanks we discussed emptying the tanks. We knew they were at a rally and that the rally would go into Sunday a little ways and it was okay for them to bring the camper back a little later than normal. Little did we realize they were going to bring it home till 6:00 p.m.. it was pouring down rain they backed into the driveway and not the same truck that took the camper was bringing it back nor was it the same driver. The tanks were full we told them we would get them dumped and it would be an additional $30 charge coming out of the deposit. The next day I'm trying to finish up the paperwork and take the amount of money out of the deposit and I can't find the proper connection to do that I called the help desk and find out something had messed up and we never got the deposit. I was told to contact the lady that rented it and I did and that they were going to contact the lady that rented it and see what they could do to get the money back for the pump out. The lady said when I talked to her that she would contact the help desk and get it taken care of. It has yet to get taken care of and I've yet to get my payment in my account and it has been 5 days since the rental. When I talk to the help desk I found out that the outdoorsy policy insurance policy would not cover a driver that was not verified nor would my insurance have covered a driver that was not verified so lesson learned no boondocking of which I had stated that before no rallies of which I had stated that before and to ensure that the correct person brings the vehicle back although that's kind of a toss-up cuz you never know what's going to happen after the people have taken it. I'm now trying to decide if I want to continue to rent my camper and this was just the first time.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Kameron
Community Manager
Community Manager

@JordanB in this scenario the owner should still be covered as long as they have met all of their other policy provisions (such as pre-trip photos, etc.). However, each claim is unique and comes with different variables, and will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

JordanB
Weekend warrior II

Sorry to hear that, sounds like you had a rough first rental experience. I promise they won't all be like that if you decide to keep renting, most of our renters have been awesome. Driver verification and security deposit is something I always make sure and check on right before the rental starts, just in case. Also, if an un-verified driver was towing your rig when it was returned, you may want to reach out to Outdoorsy support and let them know just to help prevent future issues if they try renting again.

This does bring up an interesting question that I am curious about. @Kameron or someone else from Outdoorsy, what would happen if a renter went through the driver verification process prior to the start of the rental and verified themselves correctly, then put someone else behind the wheel during their trip who wasn't verified and they got in an accident? The owner would have no knowledge of wrongdoing beforehand, because they saw the verified driver on the reservation and everything checked out at the start. The owner's personal policy wouldn't cover it, and from what I've read Outdoorsy's policy wouldn't cover it either. Is the owner just SOL, or is there some other protection for us in this case?

Kameron
Community Manager
Community Manager

@JordanB in this scenario the owner should still be covered as long as they have met all of their other policy provisions (such as pre-trip photos, etc.). However, each claim is unique and comes with different variables, and will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. 

I contacted Outdoorsy and was told it would not be covered. 

It was brought back with no proper hitch and trailer connection and a truck probably  ot even insured!

ID-RV
Day-tripper II

We are on our second rental of three bookings.  I deliver every time for this reason.  I know where the rv is, I set it up properly, I get to walk them through all of the functions/features and they are all set!  Try to push for delivery and see if that works out before you give up.  We’ve had a great first rental and now the second folks are loving their trip!  They don’t have to sweat dumping tanks, I just have it in the prep fee to cover it.  Good luck!

this is our first time renting and exactly what we decided to do. We will deliver and set up so no added stress of this part.

ID-RV
Day-tripper II

Our 2nd rental turned out the same as the first.  Went to pick it up and it was spotless inside, so we camped in it that night and for the next four days!  It's all about delivery and judging your customer.  We've turned down a couple just because they seemed a little "off" and weren't expressing any interest in taking care of the RV while they were using it, if that makes sense.