cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you Tell the Renters...?

Dave-n-Kitty
Weekend warrior

We've posted previously about RV Tracking devices (we use one and so far like it). 

If you use/were to use a tracker, would you tell the renter? Ours is VERY hard to find and wired in such a way that even if the battery is removed, we'd still get notifications. But this last trip we DID NOT tell the renters we were tracking the camper and did test the geofencing/moving-not moving/other notifications to see how functional the tracker is, and I kinda feel like we may have been a little too "snoopy" by following the unit without their knowing.

What does the community think?

2 REPLIES 2

VagabondKaren
Day-tripper III

This is going to depend on state law - I know California you have to disclose it and can only activate it in certain circumstances.  I would also look at it as if you are renting would you want to know? 

Charles
Day-tripper II

Don't listen to me for legal advice but privacy matters are sensitive and vary from state to state. I'm not sure if it matters as renters come from different states or cross into different states. To be safe I put a sticker in the dash that simply disclaims "Vehicle is monitored by GPS" I consider this good enough warning to the renters.