cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I want to do this?

VFloyd
Day-tripper

We will be taking delivery of a campervan soon.  Already, there are people lined up wanting to "try it out".  To say I'm nervous is an understatement, I'm terrified this investment will turn into a nightmare.  We didn't purchase this van to rent out.

Discussing this with my spouse, we have agreed our goal is to make sure the van, and anyone driving, is covered.  Having something more formal than, "our insurance covers us, plus we have AAA in case there is an emergency" is our goal.

Is Outdoorsy right for us?  If we charge people $50/day, would that cover the lower end insurance and all the fees (the 20% Outdoorsy fee plus the renters fee)?  Or should we just have a sign = "Yes, this is our van, no you can't borrow it!"?

Any advice is appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3

Kameron
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there @VFloyd,
I'm sure other owners will have some great thoughts and insight to share with you. I just wanted to make sure you were aware of the Owner Handbook, which will have a lot of information you may need as a new owner. Give that a read if you haven't already, hopefully it will help to put your mind a bit more at ease. 

Dave-n-Kitty
Day-tripper III

If your campervan is already getting this kind of attention, you should definitely consider Outdoorsy. Also, you should make sure your rental fees take into account: 

• Your time (prep, delivery, cleaning, supplies)
  • Mechanicals
  • Depreciation
  • Wear and tear
  • Market interest

Not knowing exactly your situation, I'd not suggest anything less than $150/night plus mileage and generator charges. Consider cleaning charges and pet fees also. And then consider your "house rules".

And remember - your camper is yours. You should enjoy it also - OFTEN.

Happy trails!

Dave
Day-tripper III

At $50/night you will not like this business. Depending on the year make and model you should get $150/night minimum. $50/night is in the 1990 pop up, no AC and no fridge territory. 

Search the website and see what other camper vans are renting for in the search results. Set your rates based off what the market is dictating.