cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancellation policy for same day rental and cancel

SeanandShawna
Day-tripper II

Hello all, 

Need some help here please! We had a renter last minute book today. We moved our entire weekend around to accommodate the renter. He paid his rental fee and his security much later. I accepted the rental but he and his driver failed verification. He’s been harassing me about his money. I’ve already reached out to outdoorsy live chat and through email. I want to stick to my moderate cancellation policy but he has my home address now and I’m a little uneasy about that! Any advice?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Boardhorde78
Day-tripper

I mean... I would take the money and run. It's not your fault, you are running a business, bent over backwards with your time and effort, and it's on him to have an acceptable drivers record and proper verification.  Your policy is clear and stated up front correct?

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

JordanB
Day-tripper III

Hi there! 
Im sorry to hear about that, it’s a tough situation. I’ve worked with a few renters who were like that since we started renting out our rig.

Most people, even if they are irritated about something, aren’t going to come and hassle you at your home. However, if the interaction you’ve had with them so far has been bad enough that you are concerned about them having your home address, it may be worth it to consider letting the full refund go back to them. I understand that you re-planned your weekend around this, but sometimes the extra stress just isn’t worth it. You are completely within your right to enforce the cancellation policy of course (it is technically on them to read the details of the driver verification process before booking), but as the owner you also get to decide if it is a battle worth fighting. I know, not much direct help, but worth it to at least consider both options to find which one you are most comfortable with.

This doesn’t help for the situation you are currently in, but you may also want to consider changing the dropoff and pickup address on your listing to something other than your home if possible. We use a public school parking lot for dropoff/pickup, and actually have the school’s address on Outdoorsy for our pickup location. It is a few minutes walk from our house so I can walk to and from after leaving our RV with renters, but it is far enough away that no one can actually find out where we live. Just an extra little bit of security that may make it easier to deal with less pleasant renters in the future. A parking lot is also easier than our driveway to do the RV walkthrough (plenty of space).

Best of luck with everything, and have a good weekend.

JordanB, 

Thank you very much. That really is a great idea. I’m at going to do that. Our rig is in an overflow lot at our condo but even still. Too close for comfort especially now. I am on a medical leave from work and every penny counts these days. It is definitely the renters responsibility to read the fine print as they say. I did issue the full refund to this person. Not worth the hassle. Thanks again! Have a great weekend!

Boardhorde78
Day-tripper

I mean... I would take the money and run. It's not your fault, you are running a business, bent over backwards with your time and effort, and it's on him to have an acceptable drivers record and proper verification.  Your policy is clear and stated up front correct?

The worst part is Outdoorsy paid themselves by taking the prep fee. Yes. It’s stated right on the page and he tried to pull a fast one even sending me his girlfriends ID who would be 25 in 2 weeks. He wanted to party with his friends but didn’t read the fine print. We are getting some money back. He can harass me all he wants through the app. Frustrating to say the least. 

@SeanandShawna I'm really sorry to hear about this situation. Please reach out to support again if you are feeling harassed by the renter and we can discuss some steps to prevent further contact. If at any point you feel made unsafe by them please contact your local police department.

Hello Kameron, 

The renter has left us alone since getting the news he’d receive his full refund back! Thank you. Lesson learned on my end!

Shawna